News & Blog.


Cross-border Operations

Table of Contents

Cross-border Operations: Fly your Drone in Different EU Countries

A UAS operator planning to conduct operations in a different Member State from where they are registered must first secure the necessary authorisation from their home state unless they have a Light UAS Operator Certificate (LUC) with the appropriate privileges.

They should adapt their operational procedures to meet the local conditions of the operation area, submit an application for cross-border operation to the authority of the operation’s Member State, including a copy of their operational authorisation or LUC, and an updated operations manual reflecting local conditions and mitigation measures.

Upon approval, they may proceed with the operation.

Operators holding an LUC with specific privileges may bypass some steps but must still submit the required documentation for the operation.

The image shown below serves as an example of how an authorisation, granted by the competent authority for a drone operation within the operator’s registered Member State, can be applied to conduct the same operation in a different Member State.
In the above scenario, a UAS operator obtains authorisation from their home Member State’s authority, detailing adaptable mitigation measures for operational areas, such as reducing ground risk by flying over water.

For operations in a different Member State, the operator submits this authorisation to the new Member State’s National Aviation Authority (NAA). Some mitigation measures remain applicable, like organizational structure, pilot skills, or UAS features. Others need adjustment based on the new area’s geography, requiring updates to ensure compliance with local conditions regarding ground risk, airspace, and climate. The receiving state’s authority confirms the updated measures’ adequacy, allowing the operation to commence.